Clinical Profile and Incidence of Acute Kidney Injury Due to Hair Dye Poisoning: A Prospective Study

Science Press Release Distribution Services

Clinical Profile and Incidence of Acute Kidney Injury Due to Hair Dye Poisoning: A Prospective Study

August 19, 2021 Medicine and Medical Science 0

Background: In recent decades, suicides have increased at an alarming rate over the world, claiming the most productive age group in society. India, like the rest of the developing world, is not exempt to the unnecessarily rising death toll.

Methods: For this prospective observational study, 31 patients were enrolled at Osmania General Hospital between November 2011 and October 2013. Patients hospitalised to MICU for alleged hair dye ingestion were enrolled in the study when the exclusion criteria were ruled out. Every patient, or a family member of a patient, gave their informed consent. All standard laboratory investigations were done according to usual clinical procedures and protocols from the time of hospital admission until discharge or death, and patient-related clinical information was entered on the created proforma. The existence of AKI was defined and rated using RIFLE criteria.

The current study examines 31 cases of suicidal hair dye use, with males accounting for 6 (19.35%) and females accounting for 25%. (80.64 percent). In the age group of 21-30 years, males (30%) and females (30%) were shown to have a higher probability of committing suicide (70 percent). In 19% of patients who swallowed more than 50 mL of dye, acute kidney injury demanding hemodialysis developed. Approximately 58 percent of patients were discharged from the hospital in good general health after therapy. Respiratory problems such as pneumonia, ARDS, sepsis, and ARF claimed the lives of four patients.

Conclusions: In the current condition of emerging hair dye poisoning, it is vital for a fast response by lowering the length of stay in the hospital, as well as early management by doctors.

Author (S) Details

P. Ramulu
Department of General Medicine, Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad, Telangana, India.

P. Amruth Rao
National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, Telangana, India.

K. Kanthi Swaroop
Department of General Medicine, Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad, Telangana, India.

K. Paul Marx
Department of Biochemistry, University College of Science, Osmania University, Hyderabad, Telangana, India.

Ch. Venkata Ramana Devi
Department of Biochemistry, University College of Science, Osmania University, Hyderabad, Telangana, India.

View Book :- https://stm.bookpi.org/NFMMR-V2/article/view/2688

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *